13. Meeting Bagoas

Posted by Anonymous Labels: , , , ,

Leonnatus:
No wonder Darius fled when he had this to come back to.

Nearchus:
One for every night of the year.

Leonnatus:
How will I go back to Lysimache after this?

Nearchus:
I advise you not to touch, Lennatus. Here, I’ll take care of it for you.

Alexander:
Aristotle was perhaps prescient.
Do these images fool us with their beauty and degrade our souls?

Eunuch:
Bagoas, great king. Darius’ boy.

Alexander:
Bagoas?

Eunuch:
Nicely gilded, Your Majesty. Most successful. He was certainly one of the great king’s favorites. How old? Is great well with the years. What are you, Bagoas? Eighteen, 19?

Alexander:
Where does he come from?

Bagoas:
The north, sire. From the hills near Susa.

Alexander:
You speak our language. Good. I’d like to learn yours.

Bagoas:
Is learnable, my lord.

Alexander:
So tell me, Bagoas, do my eyes betray me or do you wish to be set free to go back to your homeland?

Bagoas:
All my family’s long dead, great king. With your permission, I will stay on.

Alexander:
Very well, then, Bagoas. Ptolemy! Administer this. And that’s the same of every person in the harem, woman and eunuch. Whoever wishes to be sent home to their families, let them.


0 comments:

Post a Comment