12. Entering Babylon

Posted by Anonymous Labels: , , , , ,


PTOLEMY (v.o):
Alexander once said to me: We are most alone when we are with the myths.

Babylon, Persia 331 B.C. – 13 years later.

Phalanx leader:
Phalanx!

PTOLEMY (v.o):
And thus, it came to pass in a dream as mythical to all Greeks as Achilles defeating the Trojans. At this one glorious moment in time, Alexander was loved by all. But in the end, I believe:
 Babylon was a far easier mistress to enter than she was to leave.

The crowd:
Sikander! Sikander!

Cassander:
Aristotle may have called them barbarians, but he never saw Babylon.
We have enough gold here to support three generations of Macedonian armies.

Alexander:
And Macedonia would soon corrupt, Cassander. “Wealth in great quantities brings the crows.”

Antigonus: Not for the man who fought, I trust.

Alexander:
We’ll pay them well, Antigonus, but not as mercenaries for future services.

Nearchus:
Now you sound like Philip.

Hephaistion:
Philip never saw Babylon.

Ptolemy:
No, he didn’t, Hephaistion.

The boys:
Hello! Hello!

Parmenion:
Alexander, I know you think me a stiff old sod, but whatever our differences, know this day your father would be very proud of you.

Alexander:
Thank you, Parmenion.
I ask you to forgive me, my own anger, my pride. They, too, blind me.

Cassander:
A magnificent mainland work from the last century. The golden age, Alexander. Worth much to Athens and to our alliances.

Alexander:
Take back what is ours but spare what belongs to the Persians.

Ptolemy:
Yes, we’re the richest men to walk the earth, my friends.

Black Cleitus:
Not if you keep giving it all away.

Ptolemy:
The grandsons of goat herders, we now rule 2 million square miles. But, none of you fear that this great fortune may drive us all to destruction.

Alexander:
You overvalue us. For as long as Darius breathes, he is the legitimate king of Asia. And I, but the king of air.

Philotas:
But he has no power, Alexander. He’s lost in the mountains with no army.

Alexander:
As long as he’s lost, Philotas, he can be believed in. Only when he’s found will it be decided.

Parmenion:
It seems that you’ve already made up your mind, Alexander.

Alexander:
We must finish what we failed to do at Gaugamela, Parmenion. We must hunt Darius down.

Parmenion: That was not your father’s mission.

Alexander:
And I am not my father.
Come on, have you so quickly forgotten? Fortune favors the bold!

0 comments:

Post a Comment