15. Mother’s letter

Posted by Anonymous Labels:

Olympias:
Yes, she would be a perfect match for you. But you do nothing. Three months you’ve been in Babylon and leave me in Pella at the mercy of your enemy of which you have many.
Antipater, accustomed now to the power that you have given him. I must watch him grow stronger. I’m certain that he communicates secretly with Parmenion, who is dangerous. But beware, most of all, of those closest to you. They are like snakes, and can be turned.

Soldier:
General Crateros!

Olympias:
Cassander is Antipater’s son. Even Cleitus, your father’s favorite. And Ptolemy, your friend, yes.  Beware of men who think too much. They blind themselves. Only Hephaistion do I leave out. But all of them you make rich, while your mother and yourself, you leave in generous poverty.
Why won’t you ever believe me? It is only a dark mind like mine that can know the secrets of the heart. For they are dark, Alexander. So dark. But in you, son of Zeus, lies the light of the world. Your companions will be shadows in the underworld when you are a name living forever in history as the most glorious shining light of youth, forever young, forever inspiring. Never will there be an Alexander like you. Alexander the Great. Remember, bring me to Babylon as you promised. I can only help you, for they know if they harm you they will face my wrath, as Queen of Babylon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment