27. Object of hate

Posted by Anonymous Labels: , , , ,


The crowd: 
Kiss him!

Alexander: 
To Bagoas.

The crowd: 
To Bagoas!

Alexander: 
And to my mother’s god, Dionysus…

The crowd: 
Dionysus!

Alexander: 
...who, we're told by our Indian allies, travelled here before Herakles...some 6000 years ago. To a hero.

The crowd: 
To a hero!

Alexander: 
Roxane.

Roxane: 
You lose face. These Indians...they are a low, evil people.

Alexander: 
You don't try to understand them.

Roxane: 
I try. But this I know, Alexander. In Persia, you are a great king. Here...they hate you.
Let us go back to Babylon. There, you are strong.

Alexander: 
We'll talk about this later.

Roxane: 
Yes. Later. Talk.

Alexander: 
I shall come. Tonight.

Roxane 
And I shall wait. Good night, my king.

Hermolaus: 
Your Majesty.

Persian Chamberlain: 
Come, Alexander, drink with us.

The crowd: 
Alexander. Alexander!

Ptolemy: 
I remember a time you hated how your father drank.

Alexander: 
Now I know why.

Ptolemy:
Dionysus is hero. But he is also mind breaker. He destroys our self-control.
   
Alexander:
Self-control is a lover I've known too long, Ptolemy. The struggle worries me to the bone. And success I find to be as corrupt as failure. But Dionysus, bless his ancient soul...frees me from myself. And then, I move up. I'm simply, Alexander.

0 comments:

Post a Comment