30. Go on your way, father

Posted by Anonymous Labels: , , , , , ,


Macedonia 336 B.C. - 9 Years Earlier

Announcer:
Philip, King of Macedonia...and leader of the Greeks.

Philip:
All my life, I've waited to see Greeks grovel with respect for Macedonia. Today is that day.
They say already, "Philip was a great general...but Alexander is simply great."
But if you ever insult me again...I'll kill you.
I've missed you. In the spring, Persia. You'll command my horse from the right.

Alexander: 
I'm honored, Father. I wouldn't miss it...for all the gold in the world.

Philip: 
Which, one day, you'll have.

Olympias:
Making himself a 13th god. He's drunk so much wine, my poor Philip, he's lost his mind.

Attalus: 
Your Majesty.

Olympias: 
Attalus.
(To Eurydice) I hope the prince is enjoying the spectacle...as much as our regent.
   
Eurydice: 
He's very tired.

Philip: 
Hey.
(To Pausanias) Pausanias, bring the rest of the guard.

Pausanias: 
Royal guard! To the arena! March!

Black Cleitus:
No guard, Your Majesty? In all this crowd? Greeks all over the place.

Philip: 
Cleitus, Cleitus. My Cleitus.
This man you can always trust, Alexander. Treat him as you would me. He'll guard your back for you.

Alexander: 
Yes, Father.

Philip:
My people are guard enough today. Let these Greeks see for themselves how I can walk through my people. Then let them call me tyrant. Bring the main guard in after my entry only.
Cleitus, make sure the wine flows steady all day. I want them to like me.
Weren't you told? I go in alone. Follow with the main guard. Go on. Go on.

Alexander: 
Father, it's best I go with you.

Philip:
You want the world to see you're my successor. Is that what she wants?
Don't look so hurt all the time, Alexander. Be a man. You count yourself lucky you were here at all today, after your public display.
By Herakles, by Zeus, by all the gods...obey me this once!

Alexander:
Have courage, Father. And go on your way rejoicing that at each step...you may recall your valor.

Announcer:
And now, our beloved King Philip...in whose honor these wedding games begin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment